Friday, September 19, 2008

this white girl CAN'T dance

So I've been feeling a lot like Bridget Jones all day. First off, when I was climbing off my bunk bed this morning to get ready for school, I accidentally smacked my head on the ceiling. Ouch. It's also been raining all day so I've nearly wiped out about 4 times. As long as the time I wipe out it's not in front of anyone I know, I'm fine.

This morning I had my African Music and Dance class a.k.a. my Absolute Mortification and... I can't think of a synonym that starts with D. Anyway, today we learned a lot of little routines. I am awful at keeping track of all of them and putting them in order. Two of the white girls in my program are the best in class by far. The guys were freaking out. At one point we had to split up into pairs so those 2 were a pair and I paired up with an African American girl from NYU. After all of us performed, including the Africans, the guys deemed the other 2 the best and said my group did pretty well. I'll accept that, especially since I had no idea what I was doing. hahaha. It's an amazing workout though. Everybody was dripping in sweat after class. Tasty. Maybe I'll have some sort of rhythm, or at least more coordination by the time I get back!

After class I ended up stepping in a huge puddle of mud and nearly losing my shoe. Eww. Also, you know in movies where someone is about to step off a curb and a bus or a big truck drives by and splashes a huge puddle of water on them? You know how it's really funny and cute in the movies? Yeah well it's not. Not funny. Not cute. It pretty much sucks. I didn't even have a nice cab driver to take me by a shop and help me pick out a new outfit! (Bridget Jones' Diary reference)

I've been quite full of movie/pop culture references this week. Somehow I went on a tangent in my Africa in the International Setting paper about Howard Beale and his instant catchphrase of: "I'm mad as hell and I can't take it anymore!" (from the 1976 film Network. come on people!) How I got on that subject, I have no idea. I do know it was relevant to what I was discussing in my paper though. Promise.

Anyway, that's about all that's significant this week. A girl in my program got her hair braided a few weeks ago and we finally took it out the other night. We made a big party out of it. I accidentally cut some of her original hair off so instead I was put in charge of setting up the movie. Oops.

Tonight will most likely be a chill night since it's so rainy outside. I'm thinking movie night. Tomorrow a group of us girls will probably go to this karaoke bar with the guys that live upstairs. That'll be interesting. I'll make sure NOT to sing. I don't want to hurt anybody's ears. :) We also have a field trip with our Twi professor on Sunday. He's going to show us around a Ghanaian village. Should be fun!

Tidbit of the day: If a little kid comes up to you yelling "obroni! obroni!" and you respond with "obibini! obibini!" it'll definitely shock them into silence. Obroni means white person. Obibini means black person. bahaha.
Another tidbit: If you tell your roommates you're bad at cooking, they won't try any food that you offer them unless you assure them you did NOT cook it.

Love from Accra!!

1 comment:

Dad said...

That's hysterical! It sounds like you are settling into a comfortable routine in Africa! Any luck on the picture postings?