Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ok I cannot figure out how to do this picture thing. Whatever.
Anyway: another update. Yesterday was a somewhat relaxing day. My 8 a.m. Music and Dance class was cancelled. Unfortunately, we didn't find that out until after we showed up for class. It's my only class on Friday so I went out to breakfast with some of the girls then went home to go back to bed. I had a lovely long nap/slept all day. Once I finally woke up, a bunch of us decided to go to the Labadee Beach. We took a trou trou (pronounced: tro tro) which is a 15 passenger rickety van. It was... interesting. The beach was fun I suppose. It was really dirty. Definitely makes Port Aransas look like a 5-star resort and the Bahamas look even more like paradise. I'm terrified of the ocean so I was put in charge of watching everybody's stuff while they played in the ocean with all the trash. Montana lent me her crossword puzzle book so I could have something to do while sitting there. Later on, a kitten that was wandering around came over so I played with it for a bit. The girls wouldn't let me take it home b/c apparently those things have diseases. Who knew? haha. I took a few pictures with it though and when I figure out how to upload pics, I'll post them. We ended up staying at the beach until 7, then took a bus back home.

Since I slept all day, I was definitely ready to get out of the hostel and do something. A few of us girls went to dinner and then to the pub. After about an hour, some guy friends of ours showed up (which was good in case those sketchy guys came back). We all sat around talking and goofing off while a few of them played pool. Later on, they decided they wanted to go to a club, so a few of us went with them. This is where I become lame. We get there and I sort of danced for awhile, but got really tired since it was so late and didn't want to be around the crowd of people and music that was too loud. The guys wouldn't let Gannett and I walk home by themselves and told us to wait 10 minutes on the couches with them. Long story short: we all ended up falling asleep until 5ish then woke up and went home. I felt like such an old person (no offense) - I did crosswords at the beach instead of laying out, complained about loud music, and fell asleep in a club (it was wayyy past my usual bedtime here). It was fun. I'm excited because I'm actually making friends with a lot of Ashesi students. I feel like I'm in first grade again.

Tonight will be my chill night watching movies or Friends reruns. I have mass at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow (ouch. That's ridiculously early) then lunch with some of the faculty. I'll probably do research between mass and lunch. Lame, I know, but I want to make a good impression.

Hope that the storms from Ike aren't too terrible!!

More Ghanaian tidbits: Everyone LOVES spicy food and will eat all of a fish, including the bones.
Rice is a staple here. I have had more rice in the past month than I have in my entire life.
They import EVERYTHING, even their toothpicks. However, random things are extremely expensive. I saw a package of baby corn in the supermarket the other day for 33 cedi.
We're in the minor rainy season right now, which means it'll rain for about an hour every once in awhile. It's like Texas. It'll pour for an hour or so and then all of a sudden be sunny again. My umbrella has become my new best friend. :)

Love love love from Accra!!

No comments: