Friday, September 12, 2008

lost wallet and political views

Accra has definitely been full of adventures. I lost my wallet the other day. Thankfully I only had 20 cedi in it, but my closet and room key were attached to it as well as all of my credit and ID cards. However, the library lady told me that some guy called Ashesi (my Ashesi ID was in my wallet) and said that he found my wallet, but refused to tell her the contents or give it to her to give to me. He said he would meet me in person to give it to me either at Ashesi or Frankie's. Sketchyyyy. I brought another CIEE girl and the token CIEE boy to meet him with me b/c he would only meet at 10 p.m. When Montana and I walked up, the sleazy guys were excited it was a couple of girls, but changed when they saw Sherrick, thinking he was Ghanaian. Anyway, the guys tried to talk to us for awhile and see if we would go hang out with them at a bar or something and were very determined to get our numbers. Long story short: got my wallet back, minus the cash that was in there. Even though they were sleazy towards us, at least he was nice enough to make an effort to give it back. :)

Also, I have a little rant:
Wednesday night I went out with 4 other girls to the Purple Pub to try it out. For some reason, all of a sudden I was attacked for my political views. I was completely outnumbered b/c they were all voting for Obama and decided it is a travesty and a sin pretty much to vote for McCain and actually like him. No matter what I said they didn't listen and kept shooting down my arguments, convinced that there is only one way to believe. I'm going to say right now: People need to shut up and stop trying to convert people to their beliefs. It is a HUGE pet peeve of mine when someone tries to change my opinion about politics or religion. I will have civil conversations about it and share ideas, but when someone tries to convert me, it infuriates me. I finally stopped talking b/c there was no point. Thankfully Holly shut them up by cheers-ing me for standing up for my beliefs when I was outnumbered and not succumbing so easily. Even though she believes differently, she can respect that. Emily told me the same thing and apologized for just sitting there while I was verbally berated. Note to everyone: do NOT try to change what I believe in. I will have a conversation about politics or religion, as long as we can agree that people have different opinions and there is no clear-cut right or wrong view. It's NOT black and white and if you try to change my beliefs, it will only infuriate me and make me lose respect for you. For the love of Jesus Christ, get off your high horse and accept that people think differently than you. Just b/c I agree with more of McCain's policies and not Obama's does not mean I'm a horrible or uneducated person. I don't think that Obama fans are horrible or uneducated either. Ughhh. Ok, I'm finished with my rant. Everyone: keep that in mind. I have my views, you have yours, let's agree to disagree and get over it. The end.

Everyone in Texas and around the Gulf Coast: Please be safe. Hopefully Hurricane Ike won't completely demolish everything. That is one good thing about Katrina and Rita - we as a nation learned from our mistakes then and can prevent it from happening again now.
Also, I'm going to try to upload some pictures from my flash drive either tomorrow or Sunday afternoon. :)

Love from Ghana!!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Kudos to you for not backing down! Stand up for what you believe in. It is too bad we can't agree to disagree!

PS-Are you hurling all of these hurricanes towards us? ;-)

Dad said...

I'm glad you took reinforcements with you to get your wallet. You might want to also have someone with you any time you are out in public, because those sketchy guys may stalk you for a while, now that they know where you spend most of your time.

I'm also proud of you for sticking up for your beliefs. It is unfortunate that people think it is ok to be so venomous in their verbosity.

Morad said...

lol don't worry. Everyone was so keen on Obama becoming the first African American President. Not just because Obama was black but because his dad was from Africa. So not matter how much you argued, it would fall on death ears. Why blame them? Only two countries out of 150 when polled said they would vote McCain if they US citizens.

I respect John McCain but did not like some of his campaign attacks. But all in all, I respect the Republican party. If Africans stop to think about it, Africa has always been worse off under a democrat US president than a Republican one. Republicans give Africa the most aid. etc.

Don't worry. I hope they attacking your political views didn't spoil your stay in Ghana.

I gotta run.
Morad
Ashesi University.