Monday, September 8, 2008

history, adventures, and pie! oh my!

Soooo here's another post. I'm trying to post as often as I get the chance so I don't go too long without one. As I mentioned yesterday, I did quite a bit of laundry. I am becoming somewhat good at washing all of the soap out of my clothes. I tried to do some hw, but unfortunately my African philosophy reading is extensive and boring. I love my International Setting reading, but for some reason we don't have as much. We're learning Egyptian and Ethiopian history right now. I may check out a book from the library about Egyptian history once I finish another book I'm reading right now.
Last night was full of adventures. After the Internet Cafe, I went to get dinner with Kate and Holly (2 girls from my program). We decided to find this Chinese food restaurant that is supposed to be really good. Well we walked up and down a bunch of streets in the area where we heard it was. Unfortunately, one of my roommates called while I was doing that b/c I had accidentally locked her out of the room. I had to run back to the hostel to let her in. Oops. Bright side: I was able to lock and unlock my door on the first try!! I have a skeleton key for my lock so it was a bit difficult for a bit. I went back to the Chinese food restaurant that Kate and Holly settled on, which was gross. Then came back to the hostel to do some more reading for class. Unfortunately, almost right after I finished a chapter for my leadership class, an Ethiopian guy in my Music and Dance class decided to come visit us and stayed for a few hours. It's really fun learning about different cultures around Africa and the world. He also has an oven in his off-campus house so Holly and I are going to try to make an apple pie one day.
So far today I have had my Twi class and have my Leadership Seminar in an hour and a half. Classes are going really well and it's fun meeting more Ashesi students and getting to know them. Oh and my Twi professor is this tiny little man. His name means big warrior, which is funny because he is a teeny pacifist. Anyway, I'll try to update again. Here are some more tidbits about Ghana and some Twi vocab.

me pe wo - I love you
wo ho ye fe - you are beautiful
maakye - good morning (pronounced: maa-che)
maaha - good afternoon (prounounced: maa-ha)
maadwo - good evening (pronounced: maa-jo)

life expectancy is now estimated at 60 years compared to 54 years in 1988 and 57 in 1998.
the current occupancy rate in a house is about 7-12 persons per unit.
in 1995, there were 10,000 street children registered in Accra. It is now estimated to be 15,000.

Cheese is ridiculously expensive and I haven't seen any broccoli in any of the grocery stores. Fruit and rice are abundant. I never thought I would ever have a craving for salad and broccoli... and steak. Yum!

Ok, I must review my text for my next class. Me pe mo!! (I love y'all)

2 comments:

Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dad said...

Me pe wo BACK!