Monday, September 15, 2008

Opportunities Galore!

Sunday was a very busy day. I woke up really early (6:30 am!!) in order to go to mass by 7:30. Although the basic structure was the same as Catholic masses everywhere (imagine that!), there was more music and some clapping with the music. I spent a lot of the time looking at all of the women's traditional Ghanaian outfits. Aileen, one of our CIEE program directors, told us girls that she'll connect us with her seamstress so we can get some outfits made. It's pretty cheap for both the fabric and labor so I'm excited about that. I'll just need to go fabric shopping soon. All of the women at church had such interesting patterns and styles of dress. The children, of course, were adorable as well. However, even though I spent a great amount of time studying the dresses and outfits, I couldn't help but think about how the only reason there IS a Catholic church in Ghana - and in Africa for that matter - is because of the European missionaries that invaded the villages in order to convert as many people as possible from their "heathen" ways. Thank you Chinua Achebe and Things Fall Apart.

After Mass, I tried to do hw, but instead fell back asleep until it was time to go to the lunch at my professor's house. The 5 selected students took a half hour cab ride to McCarthy Hills. 4 of us were squished together in the back. Hot and sweaty half-hour cab ride before a lunch with faculty? Fabulous. Anyway, we got there and were introduced to a bunch of professors and others who work at Ashesi. I ended up spending a great amount of time talking to the Economic Development prof from Germany and his Mexican wife. They were so sweet. It's interesting. Most of the professors are from all around the world: Norway, Germany, Ecuador, etc. I was also able to talk to my Africana professor, who I'm liking and respecting a lot more now, which is good. She gave me some ideas about where I could try to volunteer that helps children and is a legitimate organization. We spent a good 4 hours there eating traditional Ghanaian food and conversing with everyone. We then took another half-hour cab ride home with 4 people in the backseat. So much fun. :)

Later that night, I watched The Kingdom with some people. It's a really great movie. If you haven't seen it yet, I would definitely suggest it. Unfortunately, I studied for my Twi test I was supposed to have today instead of reading for my Africana classes so I have that to do tonight as well as write at least my Philosophy Critical Response. Yayy!!!

Tidbit of the day: Most of the cabs and trou trous have something about God or Christianity on their back windows. Decals that say God's Gift, etc. Each one is different. It reminds me of how people name their boats.

Love from Accra!!

3 comments:

Dad said...

That is really interesting! What did you talk to the professors about? Did you get a chance to talk to your UN professor?

I love the idea about getting an outfit made. I want you to bring home a Ghanaian dress.

Tell us about all the traditional Ghanaian food you ate. Was there anything you really liked that you didn't think you would? was there anything that was too gross to even think about eating?

I'm very proud of you (and maybe a little jealous) for being able to totally immerse yourself in another culture. Keep up the good work--and good grades!

Dad said...

Oh, by the way, with the Ghanaian dress, we really need a video of you dancing "Ghanaian".

Catherine said...

I talked to the professors about so many different things. Mainly about why I chose to come to Ghana, what I'm studying and what I want to do with my life. Normal adult discussions. :)

I'll definitely make sure to bring home a Ghanaian dress or 2.

Traditional Ghanaian food here is amazing. They eat rice with mostly everything. Most things are spicy, but I've gotten used to it. Fried plaintains are my favorite, but I really like this dish red red and jollof. Their "salads" are a joke and I won't eat the fish here, but other than that, I'll try anything once. I ate gizzard on a stick the other day. Broiled yams and garden egg stew is another fave.

I'll try to learn how to make things here, or at least get a recipe to make it back home! I already know how to make fried plaintains. Delish.