Wednesday, August 27, 2008

machiavellianism?

So it's my 2nd day of classes and I think I've definitely made an impression in my leadership seminar class. We were talking about what makes a good leader and this guy said something about it's ok to kill 50 people as long as it'll help your country in future years. i flipped out (of course). I used Hitler as an example by saying that he was technically a successful leader b/c he stabilized Germany's economy and unified the country, but his moral compass wasn't exactly pointing due north. The guy started to say something else and I went on asking the (hypothetical) question of whether or not it is alright to kill 12 million people - 6 million Jews - for the good of the country. Machiavellianism is NOT the way to go, especially when attempting to be moral. The teacher agreed with me sort of. They kept talking about how to know when you've passed the mark, which I'm guessing means crossing the line. I wanted to ask exactly when you would know when the line has been crossed, but there are a couple of guys who talk a bunch and I didn't want to interrupt the teacher. And a bunch of people laughed b/c I became all spastic when I went on with my rant for the whole 60 seconds. I've definitely already realized how different Africans' thought process is, especially when it comes to leadership and politics. Mom and Dad - don't worry. I went to the guy that made the argument that I completely refuted after class to make sure he didn't take it personally. He told me not to worry because that's what the class is supposed to be. Oh and we talked about how in Africa, even when a leader makes mistakes, everyone makes excuses for him, which is quite different than in America where people recognize the mistake and don't allow it.
One of my roommates has finally moved in, which is great. She fixed the fans AND figured out how to charge my phone. Hooray!! She also told me that she will teach me to cook by December. I'm too old to not know how to cook basic meals. hahaha. I'm really excited about my classes so far. I'm taking 2 Africana classes (Africa in the International Setting and African Philosophical Thought), a leadership seminar where community service is required and is 40% of our grade, African Music and Dance, and a Twi (pronounced chwee) language class. I'm super excited about this semester. Especially my Africana and leadership classes. The debates should be interesting with all of the different perspectives. I'll try to update next time something else noteworthy happens. Love from Africa!!

P.S. Some guy just walked into the computer lab with a popped collar. Apparently there are quite a few things that cross oceans. Greeeeeat.

6 comments:

Dad said...

Ok, I'll bite. What's a popped collar? Are the classes you listed all going to count for credit at Trinity and meet or contribute toward your degree requirements?

Please be careful with your rants. Just because the guy you dissed says it wasn't personal doesn't mean it wasn't personal. You might want to go over the situation with your course director to get his opinion.

Stay safe.
I'm still waiting for pictures!

Love,

Dad

Unknown said...

Haha now Africa is now on the receiving end of the Catherine rants! But hey, I agree with dad that you should be careful about what your ranting about and who you're ranting in front of. As you said, Rules and Thoughts are different over there. I know it may pain you to do it, but it may be better to keep your opinions to yourself sometimes. Pissing off the wrong people over there - even in a "developed" country like Ghana - could turn into a horrible and unfixable situation for you.

STAY SAFE!

Matt

how do i get you on skype?

Aunt Laura said...

My brother and my nephew took the words right out of my mouth! Catherine...please be careful. You don't want to be on the receiving end of someone's "rants".

Mark...I think a popped collar is what we used to call a preppy guy wearing a polo with his collar turned up. I could be wrong though. Maybe Matt knows at SMU!

Trisha said...

As a (honorary) member of the Dickson family (?), I agree with those that commented above me, be careful with those comments please! It's scary to think that people actually think that killing 6 million people or even 50 for one's country is justified. It's definitely not. If you ever need to rant about something like that... just hold it in, and wait until you get on here and rant away. There are quite a few of us that would love to here it! It's an alternative to saying it all in class. But I'm really proud of you for feeling passionate about something like that. It's good to know that you haven't changed. haha Anyways.. take care... enjoy some fruit...

Love,
Trisha

P.S. I expect you to teach me how to cook when you get back... and cupcakes don't count. : )

Kathryn said...

Catherine, I am a fan of these udates and a fan of you for all of the wonderful things you're doing in Ghana! But because I am the product of a crazy, overprotective, worrisome woman, I will of course still worry about you. And make sure you pay close attention when you're learning how to cook so you can teach both me and Trisha!

With love,
Kathryn

Suzanne said...

Are you just learning to cook basics or learning to cook African?

Although speaking your mind is important, NEVER forget you are in a foreign country. You are a guest in their land. Even though you may see "preppy collars" (does that date us Laura?) and other American culture, their mind set is still very different and their rules are different too.

Love from LA
(that is Lower Alabama where the mind set is a little southern!) ;-)