Monday, August 25, 2008

GHANA!!!!

view outside my balcony
fighting with Thomas in the airport


Hey guys!!
Well I have safely arrived in Accra and have already gone through the basics of orientation. Today was sort of my first day of school. We toured Ashesi, got our student IDs made, and talked to the Registrar. I'll be going to various classes that I'm interested in the next couple of weeks before i actually register. Unfortunately they're not offering as many poli sci classes as I had been hoping so i'll probably have to just take some Africana classes. There's a leadership seminar that I'm definitely going to take that has a community service requirement! Unfortunately, that is only for the 2nd half of the semester so I'll try to volunteer at the local orphanage until then. I'll let y'all know what i decide.
My roommates still haven't moved in yet. My apt-mates are here though, so that's fun. Everyone has been pretty friendly. The only annoying parts are: no hot water, aggressive street vendors, and this being a cash-based economy. Other than that, it's alright. The children are absolutely adorable. I can't get over how gorgeous everyone here is. The past week or so has been pretty busy, and I have to go to an internet cafe to get wireless for now. I'm going to try to get my comp configured by the IT guys on campus soon.
Ghanaian food is really good and VERY spicy. I don't know how to spell anything and can only barely pronounce it, which is unfortunate. I'm trying to get some of the girls that also live in the hostel to cook some real Ghanaian food for me soon! I get my fruit from the street vendors. Fresh mangoes, bananas, pineapples, and papayas galore!! Some of the girls in my program and I went to a bar a few nights ago (it was saturday night, we had to do SOMETHING besides sit and talk in our rooms). We met some sketchy rasta boys. They were ridiculous... from what I could understand anyway. It is very hard to understand what some people are saying, but I'm getting better. :)
That's about it for now. My favorite thing about this city is that there is ALWAYS music playing. Everything is so lively here. I love it. The only thing y'all have to worry about is me either getting hit by the crazy Ghanaian drivers or falling off my bunk bed. :)

7 comments:

Trisha said...

I like the whole exploring classes before actually signing up for them. I was watching Gilmore Girls the other day and that's what Rory got to do at Yale! lol I'm always going to relate stuff back to tv or food. Speaking of food... I'm glad that Ghanaian food is actually good! I was hoping you weren't starving over there! I bet you're excited about the orphanage! I would be! It's good to hear about your adventures. The fruit vendors were probably my favorite thing about India. I could walk down the street and have tons of cheap, fresh fruit whenever I wanted. It was amazing! Anyways... can't wait to hear back! Love you!

janet said...

hi catherine. your mom sent me your blog and joseph wanted me to send you a note.. glad you made it safely to ghana. we are enjoying reading your blog daily. stay out of trouble and watch out for those night clubs.

Dad said...

Hi, Catherine.

I'm relieved that you arrived safely and are getting acclimated to all things Ghana. I hope your time there is everything you hope it will be. I look forward to all your posts. Stay safe, keep your grades up, and I sure would like to TALK to you sometime soon, either by phone or skype.

I'm very proud of you and I love you.

Aunt Laura said...

Hi Catherine. I can't believe you're actually in Africa. Seems like just yesterday your dad was telling me he bought your plane ticket. I was absolutely floored. I hope you get everything out of this experience that you hope for. I just wish it was some place a bit safer!!! I hope you really enjoy the school and the culture, just please, please, please be careful! Love you!

EH said...

Hey Catherine! I'm liking your blog so far and hearing all about Africa, it sounds so great so far! Especially with the kids, one of my camp friends went to Tanzania this summer and posted pics with kids she worked with and they were too cute! Well keep me updated and I will too.

Oh this EmHays BTW, this is my Austrailia blogger name. :)

Unknown said...

hey sis,

be careful over there in africa. watch out for the aids too, that shit is ridiculous. keep your grades up and don't get into any dangerous places. i've started school back here in dallas. we've got AC, hot and cold water, electricity and good food. oh and hey, whats your skype name?

matt

p.s. don't steal any of the ghana kids. i'm pretty sure kidnapping isn't allowed in lawless countries either.

Suzanne said...

Love the fresh markets! Don't forget to barter for a better deal!