Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving, Volunteering, and Shopping, oh my!

I really apologize for not updating as often as I should. Things have been busy and the Internet has been flakier than usual. Anyway, past couple weeks in a nutshell.

Thursday 11/27: Had my Steve Biko presentation. It went really well and my prof said it was the most rewarding presentation of the semester because it showed her how much we all had grown! That night was Thanksgiving. At first I was disappointed that I wasn't home, but we were invited to a chief's house for Thanksgiving dinner. He and his wife provided us turkey, gravy, potatoes, corn, REAL Greek salad, rolls, and some Ghanaian dishes. Yummmm. I sat at a table with two young American boys that had moved to Ghana the same time we arrived. Their Ghanaian mother decided it was time to move the family back. They were precious little ones.

Friday 11/28: Music and Dance as usual. We ended the class with improvised solo dances. It was actually a lot of fun. Probably because my professor wasn't there, just his professional dance students. That afternoon I went to Osu Children's Home with Kate to volunteer. I absolutely love those babies. The 2 year olds sort of annoy me, but the babies are amazing. I was able to talk with an older American woman who has lived here for a few years and is trying to adopt one of the babies. I'm going to try to buy supplies - such as diapers, wipes, and baby powder - for the orphanage next week and give them to her because I know she'll make sure all the kids get them. After the orphanage, we showered and then had a girls dinner at Champs with Holly and Montana. That place has provided a lot of great times for us this semester.

Saturday 11/29: I finally went to a Saturday practice for my Music and Dance class. The prof was an hour late and then we went over and over our Final Performance for 2 hours in the hot sun. After that, he sprang on us that we'll be having our practical final exam that day. Great. Hopefully I did alright. It was nerve-racking: being in a room, by yourself, with just your serious professor and professional musicians and dancers. Ugh. Anyway, that night I went to Champs and hung out with a bunch of NYU friends for awhile. One of the girls has a bartender that's in love with her and sends her free food all the time, which means they share with me. It's fabulous.

Sunday-Monday: Nothing of significance. Just schoolwork and such.

Tuesday 12/2: I woke up incredibly early to go to the Arts Center with Evelyn to go souvenir shopping. Although I spent a bunch of money, I got a ton of stuff. Mostly wooden things, but I love being able to bargain prices down. You get a great feeling of accomplishment when you get something for half the price of what the guy originally proposed. Anyway, we also had our class evaluations in my Africana classes. It was great realizing that we were the guinea pigs for our brand-new teacher, and also to see how people's perspective have drastically changed this semester. That afternoon/evening I just hung out with the girls and watched too many episodes of Gossip Girl.

So far Wednesday 12/3: I've been at school for most of the day working on my rough draft for my philosophy paper due tomorrow. Unfortunately, the Internet has been down all day so I had to move to the Internet Cafe and now I'm procrastinating. I have to admit though, the more I study Steve Biko and apartheid, the more interesting it becomes. I've been reading a lot of old articles and books about it and it's just mind-boggling how far South Africa has come since then, and how much further they still have to go.

Rest of this week: Tomorrow I have to go to the seamstress to make sure my dress fits and get another one made. I really should stop doing things at the very last minute. There is also an NYU farewell party/dinner thing that I've been invited to, which should be interesting. Friday we have OUR Farewell dinner, but since we're so small we're only allowed to bring 1 friend each. I'm bringing a girl that lives on my hall that I went to church with the beginning of the semester. All of us CIEE girls have decided we're throwing an unofficial Goodbye party at Champs on Saturday and are going to try to get all of our Ashesi friends to attend. Should be a fun night, no matter what.

As of today, December 3, I leave in 10 days. Scary!!

Love from Accra!!

Tidbit of the day: I'm not sure if I'm completely ready to come home and leave all of the friends I've made...

No comments: