Saturday, December 13, 2008

me pe wo ghana

I'm so sorry that I've been so terrible about updating. We had finals this week and I had a test, paper, or performance everyday. I've also been busy doing the last minute things before I leave, which is today. Leaving is going to be so bittersweet. I'm excited to see everyone back home and have more variety in my food choices rather than pasta, rice, and eggs. I'm really going to miss all of the friends that I've made here. It'll be tough going home and have people NOT understand all my inside jokes and phrases. Everyone in my program became so close to each other. We know everyone's most shameful stories and best moments here as well as our entire life histories. It's been such a great and rewarding experience being here and being such a noticeable minority. I've really enjoyed observing such a drastically different culture and being a part of it. I definitely appreciate the States so much more. I'm warning everyone now, I have picked up a few words and phrases that I replace others with. For example, I say chips instead of fries; queue instead of line; filling station instead of gas station, among others.

Quick recap of the past week or so: 2 papers, 2 tests and 1 performance later, I'm done with finals!

Election day was Sunday. The NPP and NDC are in a runoff because there is controversy concerning the votes and the election is ridiculously close, which is cool because most people thought the NPP would win by a landslide.

We had our goodbyes to our various bars and restaurants that we frequent on a regular basis. Champs, Venus, Purple Pub, Monsoon, Osu Food Court, etc. etc. etc.

I apologize for never putting up pictures. The Internet is crazy slow and if I try at school, it's almost guaranteed that the power will go out.

I realized that I really do know a good majority of the obronis in Accra. I walked into a fair trade shop the other day to buy souvenirs and realized that I knew the cashier from Champs! Anywhere I go now, just to walk down the street, I see someone I know. I absolutely love it and I've grown to love being a "regular" at some of the restaurants and bars I frequent a.k.a. Champs and Purple Pub.

This trip has been so great. I think I've become a much more patient and independent person. It'll be interesting to go back home and try to readjust, repatriate. I'm going to miss Ghana like crazy. I love the city of Accra and loved our trips around the country. It is unbelievably gorgeous here. I can't imagine going home and not coming back for awhile. It's really sad to think about, even though I'm ready to see my family and friends. Y'all are definitely lucky to NOT be on the plane next to me on the ride home. I will most likely be bawling my eyes out. The Frankfurt airport will be the worst since most of us are going to that airport before our connecting flights to all over the States. I love the people I've met here and I love this country, despite its faults.

Well I'll be home sometime Sunday night. I'll update next week with my experiences on the flights and being home so far.

(for the last time) Love from Accra!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good work keep it up...