Thursday, November 6, 2008

well well...

So life has been ... interesting lately. Tuesday night was election night! I went to a big election coverage party hosted by the NYU study abroad program. They invited all study abroad students as well as African students from University of Ghana (Legon) and Ashesi. They had expensive drink specials named after a couple of the swing states and a bunch of food. I was even interviewed on TV! I don't have a TV in my hostel, but I'm pretty sure since I was one of my maybe 5 McCain supporters, they'll broadcast my responses to the questions asked. I think the station was called Africa Today or something like that. We arrived at the party thing at Headlines (a restaurant/bar type of place) at 10:30. Unfortunately I had been sick earlier that day so I wasn't fully ready to stay up all night waiting for the results, but I (sort of) did it! I fell asleep on the grass in front of the big projector screen around 3 and didn't wake up until people started counting down to the announcement of the results. It was 4:15 when the news was broken. :( Anyway, it was really cool to be in Ghana, in Africa even, when Obama won. Even though I was disappointed with the results, I have to admit it was somewhat rewarding to see everyone else celebrating and dancing. The next day I walked down the street to go to the ATM and grocery shopping and when we heard, "Are you from US? US?" instead of vendors trying to sell us stuff, they just yelled "OBAMA!!!" At least other countries respect us more, for now. Although I was sad not to be in the US for the election, I know I'll look back on this for years to come and realize what an amazing experience it was to be in Africa.

love from Accra!

Tidbit of the day: I'm famous!! My friend, Kathryn Sharkey, works for the SMU online newspaper and interviewed me about what it has been like being an American in Ghana during the elections. Here's the link: http://www.smudailymustang.com/?p=3270

2 comments:

DM said...

Catherine,

We still think about you. One more week to go and after that (15th) the restautant might change hands. We are leaving on a long vacation. We will be in India during December and January.

Yes, as unashamed born again and again and again Hindu liberals, we are happy about the election. So is the entire world.

Keep up the good work. We are proud of you!

Das and Shanta

Catherine said...

I heard about the restaurant closing down. I am going to miss the food there and you two so much! I'm sorry I never sent a postcard, it's shocking how hard it is to find them here. I bought a bunch a few weeks ago and they somehow disappeared between Kumasi and the time I returned to Accra.

I hope y'all have a great time in India. Miss y'all!!