Friday, November 21, 2008

My week of no classes

Ok so I'm going to try to update more often. I know I keep saying that, but I only have 3 and a half (!) more weeks here.

Tuesday: since I had no class, I got up early, did some laundry and volunteered at the Osu Children's Home again with a volunteer friend of mine. We were there for 4.5 hours. This time it was a more fun b/c all we did was play with them, feed them, bathe them and put them to bed. They were a lot more pleasant and we could give them snacks! Apparently she brings vitamins and biscuits (cookies) every day. The children are soo sweet, but they definitely tired me out from picking them up and running after them so much. I also found a few that I want to adopt. After we were done with volunteering, we went to our respective homes and showered off baby filth, then met up with a guy friend of ours for dinner. He took us out to this AMAZING Chinese restaurant and picked up the bill!! I even tried duck. It was delicious.

Wednesday: Again, I had no class. More laundry by hand (holla!) and stopped by campus to pick up the lovely package my mom sent me. :) I was going to volunteer again that evening and do the night shift, but I started feeling ill after I got there so I only stayed for a couple hours. I got to do the fun stuff though: feeding the babies and loving on them. I also found out that 4 of my friends have typhoid. That's cool. After I got home, I spent the rest of the night watching movies.

Thursday: I was SUPPOSED to have my first class of the week today (my Africana prof has been in Ethiopia all week), but her flight was rescheduled again so she cancelled it the day of, which I didn't find out until AFTER I got to school. At least I was finally somewhat productive. I met up with some friends later and watched Thomas Crowne Affair (great movie), got dinner and was going to watch Thunderball (the Bond movie), but fell asleep during it.

Friday: Today was the first time I've had class all week. Music and Dance is... interesting. It never fails to give me a headache, especially since some of the people can't carry a rhythm whatsoever. At least we didn't have to go outside today and were let out early.

Tomorrow will be exciting!! A group of us got tickets to this concert at the National Stadium. Wyclef Jean, Eve and Mario will be performing along with a bunch of Ghanaian artists. I can't wait. :)

love from Accra!!

Tidbit of the day: Many people here have belly buttons that protrude much further than usual. They look like golf balls under their skin. It's b/c the women don't have time to breastfeed their babies and get them started on solid foods too soon.
Typhoid canNOT be contracted by sharing drinks, but rather by consuming contaminated food and drinks.

No comments: