Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why did the chicken cross the road?

I have no idea the answer to that question, but I DO know that on my way to the computer lab, I saw a chicken run back and forth across a road no less than four times... and that's just when I was walking up to it.

Anyway, this week has been pretty standard. I've just had class and studied-ish. I had two mid-terms today in my Africana classes. They were both essay exams so hopefully I did alright. I watched Caddyshack the other day and had flashbacks to my cousin's wayy too long graduation from A&M and watching that movie on an ipod with my brother and cousins. Fun times.

I'm really excited for this coming weekend and week. Tomorrow morning we leave at 6:30 a.m. to drive to Kumasi in the Central Region for (at least) 5 hours. On Friday, we will go to Manhyia Palace Museum to learn about the prestigious chieftaincy institution of the Asante people. After that, we will go to the Kumasi Central market, which is the largest open-air market in West Africa and is about 90% controlled by women. On Saturday, we will visit the Bonwire Kente-weaving village to watch the weavers weave the kente cloth as well as try the loom ourselves! After that, we'll go to Ntonso, the Adinkra cloth village and taught the steps of making a certain piece of cloth. Finally, after that we'll go and swim in Lake Bosomtwi, which was formed centuries ago as a result of a meteorite.

After all this, since next week is Mid-Semester Break, a group of us will be getting on a different bus on Sunday to go to Mole National Park and Temali (sp?). We'll stay a couple of nights in Mole and hopefully go on a safari! Then we'll go to see the oldest mosque in Western Africa outside of Temali. After all that, we will finally be on our way home by Wednesday. I think it'll end up being a 10-hour bus drive if it doesn't break down. Yay public transportation!!

I'm super excited about these next 5 days and will definitely update once I get back. Hope everybody is getting excited about the election in 19 days!! I went to the U.S. Embassy this morning and dropped off my ballot so that it will for sure get mailed. I'm so excited about this because I have now officially voted in my first presidential election! Hopefully I'll be able to go over to someone's house to watch election coverage. It should be a great experience.

Hope everything back in the states is going well! I saw on CNN today that the Asia-Pacific stock market has had their worst single-day drop in history and in the U.S. stock market, they had their 2nd worst day. Fabulous. Good luck everyone!

Tidbit of the day: The policemen here carry AK-47s around. Sweet. Not disturbing AT ALL.
Burning hot oil HURTS. Be careful when frying.
Love from Accra!

1 comment:

Aunt Laura said...

Great idea about the movie on the Ipod. I'll have to remember that one at your graduation!