Sunday, October 5, 2008

Reggae, CNN, and Karaoke

The past few days have been pretty uneventful. Wednesday night I went to Reggae Night at Labadi Beach. They have it every Wednesday. They play a bunch of music and there are a ton of rasta boys around. Even old ones. Although I did see an old white guy making out with a Ghanaian hooker. Grossssss.

Thursday was class and then Emily and I met up with a guy we met on Wednesday that goes to University of Ghana in Legon. We ended up going to the Purple Pub with him and then this place called Bywell's where we met up with a bunch of kids in the NYU program. It was fun hanging out with them, mainly just hanging out with people outside of Ashesi. I ended up meeting a guy from Texas who is in the ISEP study abroad program. That was great. We reminisced about food, country music, and the people. I'm missing steak a TON. I did find out that this sports bar called champs has a steak special every Monday night though. AND they have what they call Tex-Mex, which I'm sort of tempted to try. Anyway, met a bunch of people, made new friends, went home.

Friday I ended up getting some laundry done... exciting! I also finally saw The Departed which was very very intense. Hung out at a friend's house and was able to finally watch CNN on his TV, which I was ecstatic about. Went home pretty early and was in bed before midnight. Yesssss.

Saturday I was a complete bum. Watched two movies, two episodes of Freaks and Geeks (which is quickly becoming my new favorite show. Too bad there was only one season), and took a nap. HOWEVER, I successfully made a really great dinner. I made some chicken teriyaki and then sort of grilled green beans and carrots in a frying pan. It was soo good. I made it all by myself and everyone really liked it. I'm definitely going to make it more often now that I know how and I'm going to try to make some honey-lime marinated chicken soon. I'm actually learning how to cook! Yay!! After dinner, a big group of us went to Champ's. I finally took a picture of the Stars jersey hanging above the bar. It still makes my night everytime I see it. They also play a ton of games on Saturday night so I was able to watch some friends go up on stage and make fools of themselves. It was pretty chill for Champ's. I successfully only drank Sprite the entire night, but for some reason was still pulled on stage for karaoke to Ice, Ice Baby. What a fool.

Sunday (today) I got up at 7 a.m. and went to mass! I also was able to do some laundry, which always instills a sense of accomplishment. I'm pretty excited about this coming weekend. We're taking a field trip to the Volta Region, which I think has the monkey sanctuary. And in another couple of weeks we're going to Kumasi in the Ashanti Region with all the Legon CIEE kids. It should be pretty fun to meet new people!

I'm still loving it here. It's getting easier and easier to understand Ghanaian accents and their way of speaking. It's getting ridiculously hotter though. Did you know they only have two seasons? Wet season and dry season.

Tidbit of the day: Everybody has a mixture of traditional clothing and Western-style clothing in their wardrobe. No... traditional clothing does not mean loincloths. They are actually almost completely covered up. The men wear a loose, long-sleeved tunic shirt over loose pants. The women have a bit more variety in their clothes. Most of the time it's a shirt, over a skirt in matching fabrics. Sometimes it's a dress. It's funny, though, going to church and see families matching in the exact same fabric. That's one way to not get separated.

Love from Accra!!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ah, CNN and a Starz jersey...it is amazing what can thrill one living outside of their own country! I remember living in Holland when Doritos came on the market.

I almost OD'd on them! I am sure your mom and dad will have a nice juicy steak ready to throw on the grill for you when you get home!

Your adventures continue to amaze me! I heard that you found some place to wash your clothes? Giving up the hand method, are you?

Love from Bama!

Dad said...

Steak! I forget to tell you Catherine, but Mom and I have had to eliminate the red meat from our diet. So we've switched to chicken exclusively.

Congratulations on your making a great meal! When you come home, you can help Mom and I make different chicken dishes.

Tell us about your friend with the CNN. I smell a rat.

Have fun with the monkeys!